As part of the 2022 One Utah Summit, a lunchtime Startup Pitch competition features Utah's best and brightest entrepreneurs. The event is powered by VentureCaptial.org, in partnership with Weber State University's Hall Global Entrepreneurship Center.
The Summit Startup Pitch is an entrepreneur speed pitch challenge where judges rank the best ideas, and the audience selects a people's choice award recipient. Contestants are pre-screened, and the top three deliver their business pitches at the summit.
Startup Pitch finalists receive cash and in-kind prizes and tickets to the summit, where they network with Utah's business leaders.
The people's choice cash prize comes with bragging rights as the top new venture idea from Gov. Cox's annual One Utah Summit in Salt Lake City.
Startup Pitch Finalists
- Dental Dash - Woobie (Lehi; fintech/AI) — Gamified workflow automation SaaS for dental office staff that adds ~$10k in revenue per month per dentist and disrupts $5.7B spent on dental office staffing and services
- Jipe (Fruit Heights; HR/AI) — An entry-level job search app connecting GenZ job seekers to millions of openings that help them find employment
- Light Line Medical (Salt Lake City; medical device) — Uses light to prevent infections in all catheters and endotracheal tubes without antibiotic-resistant issues
- Merit3D (Price; manufacturing) — Helps local manufacturers bypass oversea suppliers, injection molding, and lengthy product development times through additive manufacturing (use of 3D printers)
- Poly (Vineyard; software) —Poly Platform is a smart-city civic engagement platform that serves as a one-stop-shop for municipalities
- Purtrek (South Ogden; consumer product) — World's first combined trek pole/water filtration system, combining two must-have trail items into one simple, efficient tool
How It Works
Almost 50 entrepreneurs applied to participate in the summit's Startup Pitch competition. The field has been narrowed to six competitors. They're undergoing mentoring from VentureCapital.org, and the top three will present at the May 10 summit.
VentureCapital.Org hosts its annual Deal Forum on May 6, 2022. Each of the One Utah Summit top six finalists will have 10 minutes to pitch their startup, followed by 20 minutes of Q&A with the investor panel.
The investor panel provides feedback on what they liked, what they didn't, and opportunities for improvement. The panel includes active angel, family office, and venture capital investors. Each panelist rates presenters on market, business model, product/service, management team, and financial summary.
The top three startups are invited to present at the May 10, 2022 Utah One Summit following the Deal Forum event.
Utah One Summit Luncheon
Following the governor's annual awards presentation, entrepreneurs will have four minutes to present their startup during the afternoon plenary session of the summit on May 10, 2022 at The Grand America Hotel.
A panel of judges, including Gov. Cox, will rank the Startup Pitch competitors, and the audience will select a people's choice winner.
Startup Pitch Awards
Entrepreneurs will receive cash and various in-kind services from One Utah Summit sponsors to help them continue on their path to business success.
1st place: $25,000 in cash and prizes
2nd place: $15,000 in cash and prizes
3rd place: $10,000 in cash and prizes
People's Choice: $10,000 in cash and prizes
The summit's media partner, FOX 13, will interview Startup Pitch contestants and feature their companies on-air. Contestants will also be featured on the summit social media channels and in communications from summit presenting organizations, providing valuable recognition and publicity for their ventures.