May 2, 2023
Welcome and Introduce Morning Session
- Ryan Starks, Executive Director, Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity
A Couch Conversation With Utah Leaders
Utah is the fastest-growing state in the nation. Factors such as the nation’s best economy, world-class education systems, unparalleled job growth, and low unemployment are a few factors adding fuel to the fire. However, this distinction comes with challenges such as affordable housing, clean air, energy, infrastructure demands, etc. Listen to some of Utah’s top leaders as they reflect on the state’s historical boom and share their thoughts on Utah’s future.
- Lt. Gov. Deidre Henderson
- Scott Anderson, President and CEO, Zions Bank, and World Trade Center Utah board of director and former board chair
- Derek Miller, President and CEO, Salt Lake Chamber
- Greg Todd, Executive Director, Utah Office of Energy Development
- Ryan Starks, Executive Director, Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity
Utah Economic Insights and Outlook
In this traditional summit presentation, hear from one of Utah's leading economists share her insights and mock-ups of fictional magazine cover designs for The Economist. You'll learn about Utah's chief economic characteristics and gain insight into trends and opportunities.
- Natalie Gochnour, Associate Dean and Director, Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute, University of Utah
Building World-Class Teams Through Diversity
Sports are a big part of Utah’s culture and an economic driver for the state. What does building successful and diverse teams take, and how do you attract national and international talent? Learn from some of the biggest names in Utah sports about how you can contribute to being a team player on and off the field.
- Morgan Saxton (Moderator), Co-host of The PLACE, Fox 13
- Thurl Bailey, Former NBA Player
- Kyle Beckerman, Head Soccer Coach at Utah Valley University and Former USMNT (USA team) and Real Salt Lake Player
- Kayla Morgan, Interim Associate Athletic Director and SWA, Weber State University Athletics
Embrace the Process: Discovery, Creativity, and Cultivation
Business entrepreneurship in Utah is a complex and continually evolving environment that requires passion, innovation, resilience, and adaptability. How can you stand apart and stand above in competitive markets while positioning yourself to adapt to economic shifts successfully? Discover new opportunities to become innovative and adaptable while forging new paths within your industry from the lessons learned and shared by Syd McGee.
- Syd McGee, CEO and Co-Founder, Studio McGee and McGee & Co.
Show Up For Utah Service Initiative
An integral part of Utah’s economy and high quality of life is the willingness of Utahns to volunteer, give back, and serve others. The summit’s service opportunity is part of Utah First Lady Abby Cox’s #ShowUp initiative. Learn more on the summit’s Show Up webpage.
- First Lady Abby Cox
Breakout Sessions and Show Up
Show Up Service Projects
Visit Show Up Hall to help assemble kits and participate in other service activities. The hall is open all afternoon for attendees to contribute time and money to some of Utah’s nonprofit organizations.
Room 1- Telling Utah's Global Story
With the goal to once again welcome the world for a future Olympic game, some of the state's top branding, innovation, and investment experts will discuss how to best tell the Utah story to the world. Known for our natural resources and talent alike, Utah has developed the fastest-growing, youngest, and most multilingual workforce in the U.S. As we continue to elevate our international presence, our financial center has earned us the title of 'Wall Street of the West,' and our tech center is referred to as 'Silicon Slopes.' With so much going for us, it can be challenging to tell the Utah story through a singular lens. How can we continue to bolster our collective strengths and solidify our narrative to the world while strengthening Utah's position as a hub for international business and innovation?
- Missy Larsen, VP, Philanthropy and Community Impact, doTERRA International
- Cydni Tetro, CEO, Brandless
- Kat Kennedy, General Partner, Kickstart Fund
- Gabi Tellez, Consultant, Utah System of Higher Education and Intermountain Venture
- Vicki Varela, Managing Director, Utah Office of Tourism
Room 2 - Energy Makeover
As Utah’s energy landscape continues to evolve, our energy providers play a critical role. Join the Office of Energy Development as they facilitate a discussion with some heavy-hitters in Utah’s energy industry – petroleum, natural gas, and electricity production – to learn about their innovative projects to move Utah into a brighter and more powerful energy future.
- Harry Hansen, Deputy Director, Utah Office of Energy Development
- Gary Hoogeveen, President and CEO, Rocky Mountain Power
- Judd Cook, Vice President and General Manager, Dominion Energy
- Troy Tortorich, General Manager, Chevron Salt Lake Refinery
Room 3 - Building the World’s Premier Ecosystem for Aerospace, Defense, and Security Companies
Join industry executives, university leadership, and policymakers as they discuss the future of Utah's most innovative and disruptive industry. This panel will focus on the developments and opportunities leaders have to build the world's premier ecosystem for aerospace, defense, and security companies around the state.
- Chanel Flores, Economic Development Director, Davis County
- Tamara Humphrey, Vice President, Northrop Grumman’s Aerospace Structures Business Unit
- Enos Cummings, 309 SWEG Director of Engineering, Hill Air Force Base
- Aniza Brown, Executive Director, Catalyst Campus for Technology and Innovation, Ogden Campus
- David Ferro, Dean, College of Engineering, Applied Science & Technology, Weber State University
- Tamara Tran, CEO of Rylex and Kaysville Mayor
Room 4 - One Utah Strategies for a Thriving Workforce
As Utah continues to grow, companies are considering the changing needs of the state’s diverse workforce and creating initiatives that generate inclusion, support, and retention of great talent. Learn what Utah companies and community partners are doing to meet these challenges head-on by investing in programs, practices, and policies to remain relevant and appealing in an increasingly competitive job market.
- Nubia Peña, Senior Advisor on Equity and Opportunity and Director, Utah Division of Multicultural Affairs
- Natalie El-Deiry, Director of Immigration and New American Integration, Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity
- Mindy Young, Managing Director, Equality Utah
- Dave Neilsen, President, Overstock
- Brock Blake, Founder and CEO, Lendio
Room 5 - The Science of Success
Utah’s life science industry is one of the fastest-growing sectors in the state and nation. The industry strongly supports STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) as it is foundational to industry success. In this interactive panel, you will learn how impact-driven leaders stay ahead of the curve by empowering future generations and cultivating innovative, meaningful partnerships to thrive.
- Jared Bauer, CEO, Seek Labs and IONIQ Sciences
- Emily Lehnardt, Science/STEM Educator, Granite School District
- Cindy Dunkle, Chief People Officer, Denali Therapeutics
- Kimberly Mepham, Senior Director, Talent Acquisition (Americas) at bioMérieux
Room 6 - Utah’s Growth: Today’s Actions Create Tomorrow’s Future
Utah’s population is projected to double over the next 50 years and we must plan for our future today. For many, growth raises concerns, but with proactive smart planning, we can harness this growth to our state’s advantage and maintain our quality of life. Hear from business, community, and government leaders about Utah’s growth, what’s being done, and how we must align efforts for our state’s continued prosperity.
- Ginger Chinn, Vice President of Public Policy, Salt Lake Chamber
- Sen. Jerry Stevenson, State of Utah
- Rep. Jefferson Moss, State of Utah
- Lucy Andre, Chief of Staff and General Counsel, Stadler US
- Brandon Fugal, Chairman, Colliers International
- Chris Roybal, President and CEO, Northern Utah Economic Alliance
One Utah Lunch and Networking
Including a full lunch buffet, vendor booths, and other food selections from Utah's Own.
Welcome and Announcements
-Ryan Starks, Executive Director, Governor’s Office of Economic Opportunity
Growing Together for Decades To Come
When we think of growth, we need to consider not just five or ten years in the future but for decades to come. How do we effectively make plans that will pay off in the long term? Hear Trevor discuss how industry can partner with government and educators to take a "One Utah" approach to solve our biggest challenges ahead.
- Trevor Bee, LFAB Factory Manager, Texas Instruments
Big League Utah
- Steve Starks, CEO, The Larry H. Miller Company
Gov. Cox’s Keynote
- Gov. Spencer Cox